[Chain of Command]
Polish Infantry Platoon

Some months ago I watched a lot of Chain of Command videos on YouTube and read a lot about the rules - short story, I want to play that system.

A period of WWII I was always intersted in, was the beginning: Fall Weiß, the invasion of Poland in 1939.

So I married the two topics. For some months now, I have the Polish troops in my lead pile, today I started to prepare them for painting.

I ordered the infantry from Warlord Games, which sell 10 men packs - NCO, BAR gunner, 8 riflemen. The organization of the Polish Army Infantry Platoon, I took from a PDF on Lard Island, which has a Rifle Section of 18 men.

So from the total number of figures the packs from Warlord games provided me with:

I only needed the following models:

Leaving me with some spare ones (mainly BARs and NCOs).

The integral bases of the miniatures is quite thick, so I spent some time with a rasp, to flatten the bases down.


[Chain of Command]
Polish Infantry Platoon

For bases I used round steel bases from Product for Wargamers. After two sections I ran out :-( Need to order some more...

To blend the cast bases into the steel ones, I used filler into which I pressed smaller pebbles. To make the BAR gunners easily identifiable, I added large rocks to their bases.

This got me thinking... how to identify the NCOs easily at a glance...? I had some ideas, so left the second NCO's base bare until I took my decision.


[Chain of Command]
Polish Infantry Platoon

I primed the two based sections in Vallejo grey airbrush primer. Before that, as I usually do, I washed the miniatures in warm, soapy water to get rid of casting residue, and of the fingerprints I left while preparing them. It turned out, that pebbles pressed into filler don't withstand that treatment too well, so I lost quite some...


[Chain of Command]
Polish Infantry Platoon

I started painting the miniatures (colors used see below) by painting the eyes.

Next I painted the skin.

Then came the rifles and spades.

Then the uniforms.

Skin

  • 70.804 Beige Red - base
  • different shades
    • 72.771 Babarian Flesh
    • 70.872 Chocolate Brown
  • different highlights
    • 70.928 light flesh
    • 70.918 ivory
    • 72.769 flesh

Wood (Rifle / Spade)

  • 70.872 chocolate brown 50% 70.875 beige brown 50%
  • 70.875 beige brown in stripes along the length
  • 70.875 beige brown 70.981 orange brown in stripes along the length

Metal (Rifle / Spade / Bajonet sheath)

  • 71.073 MM Gun Metal Metalizer
  • 72.094 Black Ink

Uniform

  • 70.872 chocolate brown 25% 70.879 green brown
  • 70.879 green brown
  • 70.879 green brown 70.918 ivory

Webbing

  • 70.872 chocolate brown 25% 70.886 green grey
  • 70.886 green grey
  • 70.886 green grey 70.918 ivory

Ammo Pouches

  • 70.872 chocolate brown
  • 72.094 Black ink
  • 70.872 chocolate brown 70.984 flat brown
  • 70.984 flat brown

Leather Straps / Boots

  • 70.872 chocolate brown 70.984 flat brown
  • 70.984 flat brown
  • 70.984 flat brown 70.981 orange brown

Helmet / Mess Gear

  • 70.887 Brown Violet
  • 70.887 Brown Violet 70.981 ivory

Roll on Backpack

  • 70.988 Khaki 70.872 chocolate brown
  • 70.988 Khaki
  • 70.988 Khaki 70.981 ivory

[Chain of Command]
Polish Infantry Platoon

Final highlight on uniforms.

Webbing painted.


[Chain of Command]
Polish Infantry Platoon

The Plutowny and Kapral got their rank insignia painted on the shoulders.

All the models painted so far.

As I keep experiencing white spots (that is why I usually undercoat black), I gave the next batch of models a wash of Choclate Brown before starting to paint them.


[Chain of Command]
Polish Infantry Platoon

Although I was at home since beginning of March due to the Corona Pandemic (I was lucky enough, my job can be done 99% from home office) and could have spent time on painting, I somehow was in a painting burn out.

Whatever, I restarted painting, working on the Polish Infantry. Here is the latest batch painted:

This is the overall status, two full sections done.


[Chain of Command]
Polish Infantry Platoon

I finally made up my mind of how to handle leaders. I used square metal bases from Product for Wargamers, placed MDF hexagonal and octagonal bases from Warbases on them, and traced their outline. With my Proxxon tool and a cutting wheel, I cut away from the square base according to the marking.

  • Junior leaders will be mounted on the hexagonal bases.
  • Senior leaders will be mounted on the octagonal bases.

Leaders have Command Initiative in Chain of Command, which will drop when they get wounded. For that purpose I also ordered dice holder cells and 7mm dice. The cell will be at the back of the base of leaders, and show their current command initiative.

Junior Leader with Command Initiative 2:

The same Junior Leader after having been wounded:


[Chain of Command]
Polish Infantry Platoon

Finally, the three sections if the infantry platoon are done.


[Chain of Command]
Polish Infantry Platoon

I covered the bases of the 3rd section models (where I ran out of bases at the beginning) with filler and placed again some small rocks. To hold them in place and not loose them again, I mixed some PVA into the filler.

When that was dry, I covered all bases in PVA and sprinkled on sand.

When that coat was dry in turn, I sealed the sand in with a mix of PVA, water, black acrylic paint and washing liquid (to break the surface tension and help the mix to flow into all the nooks and crannies).

I have not decided yet how to do the bases for this project, so for the time being, these models are done. After the foto shooting, they got a coat of gloss varnish to protect them from any harm.

Next up are the senior leaders, anti-tank rifle team and light mortar team.