[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

I have a small Dwarf Army, which consists (except for the general and army standard bearer) only of plastic models from the 7th edition 'Battle for Skull Pass' boxed game. When we played our first 3rd edition battle, it became apparent that my models do not make up a 'legal' army, as the compulsory complement of crossbowmen is missing.

So I was looking for some cheap plastic miniatures, which will be painted as quick as the already existing army: base colours and army painter strong tone. I found them in the form of em4miniature's Dwarves. I don't think I bought cheaper miniatures, ever. There are only three poses available, but the quality is quite good, especially concerning the price.

The models come with an integral base, which is way bigger as the 20x20mm used in Warhammer, so I had to clip it off. I then trimmed the underside of the boots, and placed the models beside some of the Games Workshop ones, to check for height:

The are quite a bit taller, so I tried to get the eyes to about the same level. I cut off the boots, trimmed away the shaft of the boots and glued them back on.

Now the models are more equal in height, but I think I can cut off some more.

I cut off the bases over the last 2-3 weeks whenever I had some moments spare time, when watching tv, etc. But I still need to remove the flash from all the models...


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

The flash is quite easy to remove, the only problematic part ist the back where a round disk is found (I guess this is from the casting process). I cut it away then scored the flat surface to immitate the chainmail... quite rude but I hope it won't be noticed when the minis are painted.

As was usual in a certain period of Games Workshop (3rd to 4th edition), I got some metal miniatures (from Ral Partha Europe) to use as the commmand group with the single posed plastic miniatures.

I covered the slits in the bases with a paper strip before gluing the models to the bases.

From brass rod and some GW Dwarf bits I still had in my bits box I built two banner poles for the crossbow units.

As banner bearers I used the plastic spearmen.

The bases are covered in sand, these two units are ready to be base coated.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

Today I primed the miniatures in 73.601 Grey Surface Primer through my airbrush.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

I basecoated the bases, then applied the first drybrush.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

I finished the bases with the last drybrush of ivory, then started to paint the Dwarves:

  • Chainmail 72.053 Chainmail Silver (surprise!)
  • Skin 72.041 Dwarf Skin (obviously!)
  • Spear shaft 72.065 Terracotta


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

I painted the plate armour, helmets and spear tips in 70.864 - Natural Steel. Although this colour is darker and less shiny than the Chainmail, the contrast between the two colours is not that good - especially from some distance away they look almost the same.

To distinguish the two colours, I added GW Asurmen Blue wash to the steel. This provided a level of contrast I was happy with.

The whole unit so far.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

I started to apply the unit colour, 72.027 Scurvy Green. Slowly, the models start to look like something.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

Today I finished painting the green parts, then used 72.043 Beasty Brown to paint all the leather parts.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

I painted the clothes 70.952 Lemon Yellow, the banner pole top, dagger hilt and pommel 72.057 Bright Bronze.

Next up were the beards, which I painted in 5 tones:

  • 70.870 Medium Sea Grey
  • 72.039 Plague Brown
  • 70.982 Cavalry Brown
  • 70.987 Medium Grey
  • 70.843 Cork Brown


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

The spearmen and axemen still need shields. To tie them in more with the GW models, I took the last three unused plastic GW Dwarves I have and made a mould of the shields with Instant Mould, then started to cast them with dental plaster.