[Warfork_Fantasy_Battles]
More Halberdiers

The second unit is done.


[Warfork_Fantasy_Battles]
More Halberdiers

The command group is finished.

Here the first unit is shown complete.


[Warfork_Fantasy_Battles]
More Halberdiers

The rank and file models of the first unit are done. As their equippment comes from non-industrialized craftsmen, I wanted quite some variety in the unit, which I tried to achieve with a very sophisticated system:

  • The models are numbered in the bottom of the base to make sure they align well. I placed them in a random manner without looking at the bottom as shown.
  • I painted the quilted armour down the three columns in three different browns.
  • I painted the legs of each rown in one colour.
  • With the leg colour, I painted three models diagonally starting in the next row.

This way I tried to ensure the most random colour distribution.

For the clothes, I used the information in this post and choose the winter palette.

After adding the static grass, I placed the models in their designated places and enjoyed the random distribution of colours among the unit members :-)


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
An der Fähre Village Guard Reinforcements

The two models are done.

The unit is complete now.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
An der Fähre Village Guard Reinforcements

I sanded down the Miliput to the helmet form and based the models.


[Warfork_Fantasy_Battles]
More Halberdiers

I removed the cast on flags from the Mirlition models to replace them with brass rod.

 

When test placing the models, I reckognized that the Mirlition are noticably smaller than the Black Tree ones :-( This won't do.

 

Luckily, my lead pile included some more models from Black Tree's 100 years war range. I used some knights on foot for the unit leader and standard bearer. I had enough Halberdiers to fill out the unit to 16, but only in the later round helmets. As I have one unit in earlier rim helmets, I had to convert two models. First I cut off the helmets.

With Instant Mould and plaster I cast two helmets and glued them on.

 

For the bases I used metal ones from Products for Wargamers. On the underside I numbered them with a Proxxon Precision drill FBS 240/E so that deploying the units will not be a puzzle game each time.

 

The standard bearers got a pole from brass rod and all the models were based. The only thing missing now are two instruments to attach to two models. I am not sure which I will use (horns, drums, ...) and if I will buy some or do them myself.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
An der Fähre Village Guard Reinforcements

The command group of the More Halberdiers project had two halberdiers in excess, which I planned to use to fill out the An der Fähre Village Guard unit, which is currently two men short.

I removed the feathers from their helmet, as no other model in the unit has them. The small dent in the helmet I filled with Miliput.


[Warfork_Fantasy_Battles]
More Halberdiers

There is still an allowance of 30 more Halberdiers in the Oldworlder Ally Contingent. When I ordered the last time with Black Tree Design, the order took several months. The guy from customer support did a great job, was very friendly and helpful, and in the end asked for a couple of packs they would choose some from for an apology - I received all I mentioned. Very nice.

So these models will be painted up as Bretonnian Halberdiers. The command groups I ordered from Mirliton. The result will be two units of 15, which will together with the 20 An der Fähre Village Guard be the 50 allowed by Warhammer Armies.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
An der Faehre Village Guard Rebasing

Rebasing Done!


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
An der Fähre Village Guard Rebasing

This is a short revisit of an already finished project. With the second unit of the Oldworlder Ally Contingent I started to use metal bases instead of the classic plastic ones. So the bases on the village guard have to be replaced.

Removing the plastic bases was no problem, only some boots need to be repainted as the Vallejo basecoat sticked so well to the sand, that pealing the sand off the base also ripped the paint off some of the boots in one go. But this will be quickly repaired.

The plastic bases were marked on the bottom as the models only align in certain positions. With a Dremel I cut the markings into the metal bases, then painted them. There is some kind of protective coat on the metal, so I wasn't sure if the cutting would make the metal susceptible to rust.