Empress Miniatures Kickstarter

This week the Empress Kickstarter package arrived. A complete platoon of Marines, three Oshkosh, mortar support and some additional models like SEALs.

If I only had enough time to paint all my purchases...


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

3rd fire team done. The model on the right is the Squad Leader.


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

2nd Fire Team done, one more and the squad is ready.


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

First Fire team done. I slightly changed the painting of the woodland camouflage, adding 70.940 Saddle Brown to 70.872 Chocolate Brown as a highlightning step, thus creating more contrast and making the brown more visible.

The 3 colour desert DCU was painted in the following way (all Vallejo colours):

  • 70.837 Pale Sand

  • 1/2 70.886 Green Grey1/2 70.928 Light Flesh

  • 1/2 70.940 Saddle Brown1/2 70.837 Pale Sand

  • 73.203 Umber Shade Wash

The Boots are

  • 70.977 Desert Yellow

  • 70.917 Beige

  • 73.203 Umber Shade Wash

Webbing is

  • 70.968 Flat Green

  • Secret Weapon Wash 008 Baby Poop

  • 1/2 72.094 Black Ink1/2 H2Oused to define lines between single items

  • 70.968 Flat Green


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

The Humvees and turret gunners are done except the mutt splattering. First fire team started.


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

I finished painting the Humvees by painting the tires black and the undercarriage in a black grey leaving the rust showing through.

They will receive some dust/mud airbrushed on to weather them and they still miss their rear antenna, but part from that they are done.


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

I painted the stowage on the two Humvees. Two in sand colour, one in woodland camouflage. At the same time as the woodland bag I also painted the vests of the .50cal gunners.

For the woodland I based the area in Vallejo 70.893 Dark Green. Next, I added broad stripes of 70.872 Chocolate Brown. Finally I added smaller blotches in 70.988 Khaki.

I then added a highlight by adding 70.928 Light Flesh to the base colours.

Finally I added small lines with 71.067 Black between adjacent colours.

All in all the scheme is a bit dark for 15mm, with the next models I will probably add some white to the colours.


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

I used the base colours to lighten up the areas where the black ink pooled or darkened the vehicle too much otherwise.

Then I applied highlights by mixing Vallejo 70.928 light flesh into the base colours.

My last brush strokes for today where white and orange red for the lights.


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

I touched up all the areas that got rubbed off, painted the windows and blacklined the entire models.

Then I protected the work done so far with a coat of gloss varnish from the airbrush.


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

Fail.

I used my thumb to gently rub off the masking film. This worked well on flat areas, basically. On the parts with much sculpted detail, like the doors, it was more difficult to really get every last scrap of it. Additionally, on quite some parts I rubbed off the paint as well, including the base coat...

:-(

If I will do this again on other models (I have four LAVs and two LVTP7A1s for my Marines waiting to get painted), I will definitley give the model a coat of Gloss Varnish over the green base colour, to help preventing the rubbing off of the basecoat, creating a sturdy protective layer.

Concerning the small crevices, either this method is not suited for these kind of small details, or I need to apply the masking film in a thicker layer. That way, the masking film might get stronger, peeling itself away totally, instead of small pieces ripping off of it and sticking to the model...