Static Grass Applicator

After reading several blog posts and looking at several YouTube videos, I decided to have a go at my own static grass applicator. I wanted to have something like the Gras-Master 2.0 for quite some time, but for 150,00 EUR - no thanks.

If you want to follow the steps I outline here take care. You are tinkering with electricity and should know what you do. I am not liable for anything.

Following the tutorials I found, I bought:

  • an electric fly swat from Amazon - delivered to my door for free with Prime for EUR 9.89.
  • Two metal sieves from the Doll... Euro-Store for ... guess what... EUR 1.00.
  • 1 meter of cable for EUR 1.50. The local DIY store did not have one-braided cables, so I bought the cheapest 2 braided one.

I used the following tools:

  • Clippers
  • Screwdriver
  • Saw
  • Three finger pliers
  • Duct tape



I removed the screws and opened the fly swatter (making sure no batteries were in). The yellow top end was easily taken out, but the two yellow halves I needed to break apart. Only the part that is in the handle came easily apart.  



The inner electronics - which I did not touch.  



I had to press the wire handle a bit tighter with pliers, and carve away some of the yellow rim (bottom of the picture), then the sieve fit perfectly. I pressed it into the yellow part, the tension of the metal grip keeping it firmly in place.  



To connect the sieve to the power source, I cut down the wire that ran into the swatter, and with the help of a three finger plier bent the wire and the sieve handle so the wire nestled to the handle form and both fit into the plastic casing.  



I cut one end of the black cable, then ripped it apart from there to free the two strands inside.  



The copper of the blue wire was then made bare on one end, the second wire from the fly swatter cut off; the two of them then twisted around each other, then fixed and isolated with duct tape. The other wire and the sieve handle were taped together as well.  



The other end of the blue wire was attached to an offcut of the wire that ran around the inside of the swatter part, then duct taped as well.  



The finished static grass applicator, screwed back together.  



First test application of grass on a piece of cardboard. The areas where the grass is lying flat, there was no glue; the parts where the grass is standing upright, there was glue the end of the blue wire was stuck into.  



With the loose grass shaken off:  



All in all the conversion took me less than an hour and less than EUR 12.00 (deducting the spare sieve, wire from the total purchase). It works quite well and I am sure this little tool will be very helpful for my further carerr as miniature gardener.