[Tools]
Magnetic Holder

To be able to hold small parts for airbrushing, I built these holders. They are meant to be used for magnetised arms etc, to be able to airbrush them without touching. I built a couple in two different heights.


[Song of Fork and Heroes]
Agyptian Watchtower

I added Woodland Scenics flocking, then gave he board a coat of mat varnish. Brushstrokes still visible... :-(

The edges, that were bent around the board edge, I painted in a dark brown mixed with PVA to a nice clean border around the playing area. I then cut the mat following the lower board edge with a blade.

The mat worked out well except for the visible brush strokes, and the edges. Remember how I described in the first post that I stretched the fabric around the board? That lead to the threads getting misaligned, which now makes the edges not lying flat on the table anymore. But the raised edges do not prevent the mat from being used.

The mat in action:


[Song of Fork and Heroes]
Agyptian Gaming Mat

Before starting to drybrush, I told myself to pay attention to not create brush strokes. I started drybrushing - and created brushstrokes, again... :-(


[Song of Fork and Heroes]
Agyptian Gaming Mat

I applied a base/sealing coat, by painting the mat with a mixture of PVA, paint and flow improver (washing liquid) to seal in the sand and provide a base coat at the same time. This is always relative time consuming, as you need to stipple the surface to get the paint into all the nooks and crannies, even with the flow improver. I could make the mixture thinner for it to flow more easily, but then I would need a second coat for color coverage.


[Song of Fork and Heroes]
Agyptian Gaming Mat

The result with the sand shaken off. The coverage is fine, but I need to find a way to spread the glue more evenly on such a surface, you do see ridges and thicker areas of glue all across the mat.


[Song of Fork and Heroes]
Agyptian Gaming Mat

I covered the top in sections in PVA glue (I didn't dare to cover the whole surface out of fear of the PVA drying on me before I was done), and sprinkled fine bird cage sand on it.

With a previous mat, I applied the PVA glue (white) on the caulking (white), which made it quite difficult to see which area had been covered and which still needed covering - which of course resulted in some bare areas. I tried to go with the reflection of light, but it did not work out that well.

So this time, I mixed the base ground color into the PVA. This not only provided the first coat of color, but also made it easy for me to see which areas were already covered and which where not.

With the sand piled on as seen in the photo, I let it dry over night.