[SiFi]
More Vehicles

Having catched another flue/virus/whatever which showed itself on Saturday, I am on sick leave this week. Between sleeping all day, I managed to put in some painting time within the few moments I have a clear head in between.

The ConServ vehicles are done, the 3d printed tires glued on. And it took me only since January...

On to the next models :-)


[SiFi]
More Vehicles

I painted the bus' windows, tires, lights and antennas.Out of a whim I painted some of the panels on the top as windows to have more light in the interior. After all, this bus only transports workers to the construction site, but is not involved in the construction work itself, therefore the roof does not need to be protected.

I also painted the 3d printed tires, ready for mounting them on the vehicles.


[SiFi]
More Vehicles

Thank you Michael :-)


[SiFi]
More Vehicles

This Friday I visited Michael, a friend owning a 3d printer. After all, my vehicles are still without wheels. I brought along the wheels I designed in SketchUp, Michael converted the .stl to the format needed by the printer, and off it went.

The result was this:

Yeah... well - not as it should look like. As it turned out, SketchUp is missing the feature of boolean operations (at least in the free version), which lead to the wheel rim not being recognized correctly and thus not printed.

Michael then introduced me to OpenSCAD which does include boolean operations, and quickly tried to reproduce my design. The result looked much better :-) The small wheel was also reproduced using OpenSCAD, and I went home with two feels to fit to my vehicles.

The big wheel looks good, but was designed with a 24mm diameter while I need only 21mm. So I have to redesign it.

The small wheel fit perfectly as designed.

Yesterday, I spent the day getting used to OpenSCAD, much to the dismay of my wife - you know, one could have done so much relevant stuff... ;-)

Here the results, which are a bit more detailed like what Michael quickly did in 5 minutes, like the rounded interior side of the profile:

Now I need to ask Michael for 8 prints :-)


[SiFi]
More Vehicles

Finally some progress on the 15mm ConServ vehicles: I painted the windows and applied washes to the metal area on the excavator.


[SiFi]
More Vehicles

The models were treated first with a Vallejo basecoat from the airbrursh.

The ground vehicles got a black spray coat from underneath

The MedServ VTOL was sprayed light grey all around, then white from above as a first highlight.

The ConServ vehicles were sprayed in flat orange, then highlighted with a bright orange sprayed from above.

TecServ was sprayed grey on the lower half, then blue on the upper half.


[SiFi]
More Vehicles

I finished building the vehicles, next up is rinsing and undercoating.

Nothing more added to the ambulance, just miliput to cover any gaps.

On the Rover I finished the work on the prolonging of the passenger cabin.

On the Ranger I added more details, like the retractable support beams, the rest for the turntable ladder behind the cabin and the cut-off from the basket as ... some interesting feature.


[SiFi]
More Vehicles

I received another delivery from Jon at Ground Zero Games (only about 5kg), and started right away on the first models.

With my last order I got some civilian trucks, which I intended for the colonists I already owned, but did not have any detailed plan for them. When I started to work on them, I painted them according to the two colour schemes I painted the colonists in; then dubbed them TecServ (technical services) and ConsServ (construction services). Having defined these themes, I immediately had more ideas for more vehicles I would need...

First is a transporter for all the construction workers to get them on site. I used the Colonial Rover line for ConServ, but a passenger cabin is only available with the Colonial Ranger line. As I also needed another Ranger this was no problem.

The passenger cabin on the right, the original cargo module on the right.

As the underbody of the Rover is longer than that of the Ranger, I need to fill the gap. I will try to do this in a way which implies a longer passenger cabin.

The Ranger the passenger cabin came from will be converted to a turntable ladder truck. The technicians need to get to higher installations like pylons, chimneys, etc. after all. After looking around, I finally ended up with a 1/87 scale die cast fire engine.

I cut up the Ranger underbody and prolonged it with card. From Depron and plastic card I created a platform, which will take the screw from the orignal model to fix the turntable ladder and allow it to be rotated (instead of gluing it in place). Still more detailing work to be done.

When I shopped for the fire engine, I also came across a mobile excavator and four wheel loader, which I thought to be a good addition to ConServ. The models will be mostly used as they are with a new paint job, only the wheels will be exchanged. I will try to build some wheels that look siminlar to those from the Rover line of trucks to tie them in.

The last vehicle is for the three medics I painted, a VTOL ambulance. I left the chin mounted gun turret off, and instead installed a search headlight (taken from the Rover truck).