[15mm IABSM]
South of Cherbourg

Some progress, more rifle squats, .30 cal machine guns and 60mm mortars:


[15mm IABSM]
North of Caen

The British forces for the scenario are done:


[15mm IABSM]
South of Cherbourg

I applied a black oil wash, the result is basically fine and I will go with this simple base coat / oil wash procedure, but I need to make it thinner, this first batch is way too dark. I removed some of the wash with a cotton but, but the overall effect is still too dark.

Current status:


[15mm IABSM]
South of Cherbourg

The Wehrmacht force for the scenario is done, the last open point, the basing, is finished.


[15mm IABSM]
North of Caen

The Wehrmacht force for the scenario is done, the last open point, the basing, is finished.


[15mm IABSM]
South of Cherbourg

I started to paint the US Army miniatures. With the Brits and Germans I used techniques I usually use on 28mm miniatures, and it took forever, including, especially with the Germans, painting burn out. For the US guys I plan to use a much quicker approach - base colour and black oil wash.

The miniatures are now drying, having had a gloss varnish coat applied, tomorrow I will see if the simple wash will satisfy me.

Colours used:

  • 70.846 Mahogany Brown (boots, pistol holsters, helmet straps, knife scabbards)
  • 70.873 US Field Drab (trousers)
  • 70.988 Khaki (jacket)
  • 70.821 German C. Beige WWII (anklets)
  • 70.886 Green Grey [50%] + 70.820 Offwhite [50%] (webbing, backpacks)
  • 70.818 Red Leather (rifles, spades)
  • 71.073 MM Gun Metal Metalizer [70%] + 70.521 Metal Medium [30%] (rifles, spades, canteen top)
  • 70.815 Basic Skintone (skin)
  • 70.887 Brown Violet (helmets)
  • 70.975 Military Green (grenades, binoculars, radios)

[15mm IABSM]
South of Cherbourg

Prime night! I primed the latest reinforcements to the US Army by airbrushing Vallejo surface primer black 28.012, now the whole force is ready to be painted.


[15mm IABSM]
North of Caen

I experimented with different washes on the models,

British Infantry WWII

British Infantry WWII

British Infantry WWII

British Infantry WWII

and finally decided for 73.201 Black Wash, thinned a bit with water over basically the whole model except the uniform. Using a brownish wash with the skin was making it too similar to the uniform, the black wash gave more contrast. Also the Khaki had a better contrast to the uniform with black in my mind.

The wood of rifles and the spades were highlighted with 70.983 Flat Earth, the olive equippment with 70.888 Olive Grey.

British Infantry WWII

Finally, the backpacks where lightened up again with a quick drybrush of 70.988 Khaki and 70.951 White.

British Infantry WWII


[15mm IABSM]
North of Caen

The stones are all painted and drybrushed. After this step, I went over the models again with Black and British Uniform to cover all the errors I did so far (mainly on the boots and lower legs due to the drybrushing of the bases), and repainted the helmets in Russian Uniform where the colour started to peel off.

As the peeling started, I now gave the models a coat of gloss varnish, to seal the current state. Especially the helmets, where I picked the models up mainly for doing all the bases, should be safe from chipping now.

Also, the gloss varnish will help the washes which are to follow to flow more easily.

British Infantry WWII

British Infantry WWII


[15mm IABSM]
North of Caen

I highlighted the bases in my usual two drybrushs. The first

British Infantry WWII

does not really change the colour (only slightly), but dampens the brightness of the basecoat.

Here the second drybrush

British Infantry WWII

where you can also see the first individual stones painted.