[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

I painted the stowage on the two Humvees. Two in sand colour, one in woodland camouflage. At the same time as the woodland bag I also painted the vests of the .50cal gunners.

For the woodland I based the area in Vallejo 70.893 Dark Green. Next, I added broad stripes of 70.872 Chocolate Brown. Finally I added smaller blotches in 70.988 Khaki.

I then added a highlight by adding 70.928 Light Flesh to the base colours.

Finally I added small lines with 71.067 Black between adjacent colours.

All in all the scheme is a bit dark for 15mm, with the next models I will probably add some white to the colours.


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

I used the base colours to lighten up the areas where the black ink pooled or darkened the vehicle too much otherwise.

Then I applied highlights by mixing Vallejo 70.928 light flesh into the base colours.

My last brush strokes for today where white and orange red for the lights.


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

I touched up all the areas that got rubbed off, painted the windows and blacklined the entire models.

Then I protected the work done so far with a coat of gloss varnish from the airbrush.


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

Fail.

I used my thumb to gently rub off the masking film. This worked well on flat areas, basically. On the parts with much sculpted detail, like the doors, it was more difficult to really get every last scrap of it. Additionally, on quite some parts I rubbed off the paint as well, including the base coat...

:-(

If I will do this again on other models (I have four LAVs and two LVTP7A1s for my Marines waiting to get painted), I will definitley give the model a coat of Gloss Varnish over the green base colour, to help preventing the rubbing off of the basecoat, creating a sturdy protective layer.

Concerning the small crevices, either this method is not suited for these kind of small details, or I need to apply the masking film in a thicker layer. That way, the masking film might get stronger, peeling itself away totally, instead of small pieces ripping off of it and sticking to the model...


[2003]
USMC Infantry Squad with 3 Humvees

Having painted only 28mm Fantasy and SiFi stuff for some time, it was time for a change. I took off my shelf the Marine squad and the three Humvees, which I bought, de-flashed and based two years ago, after seeing Generation Kill. But the bug bite healed and I was sidetracked by other projects before I started painting them.

Time to change that.

I basecoated with my airbrush, using two light coats of Vallejo 70.837 Pale Sand for the Marines, and Vallejo 70.894 Russian Green for the Humvees.

The undercarriage of the Humvees got hit with a quick spray blast of Vallejo 71.069 Rust.

For the camouflage on the Humvees I tried something new. In the above photo you can already see the Vallejo 70.523 Liquid mask I applied over all the areas that should remain green. I then applied a coat of Vallejo 70.846 Mahagony Sand.

After another application of Liquid mask (visible in the above photo) where the brown should remain, I sprayed the final coat of black. To get a black that was already slighty bleached by the sun, I used a mix of Vallejo 71.057 Black [1/3], 70.862 Black Grey [1/3] and Thinner [1/3].

The plan is to remove the liquid mask and to have a perfect camouflage scheme :-)

Lets see how it turns out...

I already found it difficult to see exactly where the mask film on the green coat was when painting the mask film on the brown coat... so let's see how this turns out...

It would probably have been easier to just brush the brown and black on. But we will see.


[Dreadball]
Tooth Crushers

I finished the last three Orx:

Now all I need to do is add the numerical decals to all the team's backplates and the second team ist done.


[Dreadball]
Tooth Crushers

I finished the last two Goblins.

Now only three Moore Orx.


[Dreadball]
Tooth Crushers

Today I managed to paint two more Goblins - I hope I can keep up that momentum...


[Dreadball]
Tooth Crushers

Finally I managed to find some more painting time, and finished two Goblins.


[Kickstarter]
Maki Games

I was tempted by this the first time I saw it... and resisted... now, two hours before the end of the KS campaign, I succumbed to my wargaming desires...

At least this will not add to my pile of unpainted lead ... ;-)

Maki Games: High Quality Modular Wargaming Terrain