[Dreadball]
Squat Steam Rollers

I started to work on the last of my teams, the Squats. In contrast to the first three teams, I will work on all of them simultaneously instead of in groups.


[Warfork 40.000 - Rogue Rules]
Orks Marauders

The first 15 Orks are done. I painted them in groups of 5, taking 5 random models ignoring the final mob composition (marked on the underside of the base), to get total random composition colourwise of the mobs at the end.

Each group of 5 was painted with a different green skin tone (these three will be used across all the models).

As the dark shade will just make the metal darker, but will not add brown tones to simulate rust, I painted the first group's metal areas with Air Colour Rust first, then metal on top, leaving the rust show in the recesses - but this took to long, after all I want to quickly paint them. Starting with the second bunch, I painted all metal areas in flat silver, then added blotches of brown washes to simulate rust - this was much quicker.

With these models I left the basecoat brown on most parts of the models. With the next groups, I will add one more brown tone to each group, painting random clothes to get more variation on the Orks.

The miniatures are done as they are now, except the Quick Shade and the back plates. The back plates (and some checkers or triangular patterns here and there) I will paint after all models are brought to this stage; then by mob. The idea behind that is to have everything randomized, except the mob markings.

I hope I can keep the momentum I managed so far, then the Orks will be done until Christmas :-)


[Dreadball]
Lumber Rodents

Last group done, now only the number decals are missing.


[Warfork 40.000 - Rogue Rules]
Orks Marauders

When I bought these models I decided to do them in a quicker way than my usual basecoat-shading-highlighting steps given the mass of models and instead use the Army Painter colour blocking quick shade method.

I use leather brown base coat spray and the dark tone quick shade. First batch of models started:


[Warfork 40.000 - Rogue Rules]
Orks Marauders

My next project for my lunch breaks will be some SiFi Orks from Mantic Games. I ordered them on 08.11.2011 ... only two years ago. I have them assembled and ready for painting since about 1.5 years... you know, one of those fast side projects... about time to get some colour on them!

Here is the whole bunch:

This looks a bit like chaos, which would only be fitting for Orks, but the composition of the mobs is already planned.

Here is the Waaagh! Boss and the Nobs leading the mobs:

All models that did not have a backplate, got some modeled with putty. I really like all the fluff from the good old Rogue Trader Ork books, one of which is that all Orks wear backplates showing their allegiance. The newer GW models unfortunately do not all posess some, also the Mantic Orks don't have them on all models.

To get some variety to the support weapons (there is only one with the Mantic sprues), I did some scratchbuilding. In my bits box I found some bombs and fuel pods from 1/72 scale plastic models, which I used here.

The original support weapons, the muzzle being drilled open.

Flamers, built from GW Ork Shootas and fuel tanks.

Flamers, built from GW Ork Shootas and fuel tanks.

Plasma gun, built around the support weapon from the sprue; and a SAW type weapon, again a GW Shoota.

Plasma gun, built around the support weapon from the sprue; and a SAW type weapon, again a GW Shoota.

Plasma gun, built around the support weapon from the sprue.


[1941]
Wehrmacht, motorisierter Aufklärungszug

All Soldaten were promoted :-) Here some examples:

This recce unit is now done except the mentioned bases.


[1941]
Wehrmacht, motorisierter Aufklärungszug

The vehicles and riders are done so far, now I only need to add the rank markings and finish the bases. I am still thinking on what to do with the motorcycles basewise... do my own and fail miserable to make them look like the bases for the foot soldiers, including only roughly round edges... a 'crossbeam' on the underside from some clear rod... Any suggestions?


[Dreadball]
Lumber Rodents

The next four models are done. I still like the result and this new (for me) way of painting, but what is annoying is the longer drying time of the inks between coats.


[Dreadball]
Lumber Rodents

The test model is done. I used the following paints:

  • SWW008 Baby Poop for the skin, two coats

  • SWW019 Ruby for the hair, this will be alternated per model

  • SWW029 Fallout for the armour, three coats

  • SWW020 Orange, shoulder guards etc

  • SWW009 Sewer Water, leather glove

  • SWW017 Purple, tail

  • White, re-highlight top of tail segments

  • SWW026 Cotton Candy, tail

  • SWW006 Parchment, bandages, mask

  • Vallejo 73.203 Umber Shade, bandages, mask

  • SWW025 Just Red, eyes

  • SWW003 Armour Wash, metal

  • Vallejo 71.063 Silver, highlight metal areas

  • White, teeth and claws

  • SWW017 watered down, teeth and claws

  • Vallejo 72.094 Black, blacklining where some more definition is needed

The result is totally different to any miniature I painted so far, using only inks; but I like the effect. The other rodents will be painted like this model.


[Dreadball]
Lumber Rodents

The pre-shading is done. I followed up with

  • Vallejo 70.870 Medium Sea Grey

  • Vallejo 70.989 Sky Grey

  • Vallejo 70.951 White

Next up is applying the washes.

If you have any experience with this technique, please feel free to share your experience in the comments.