[Warfork_Fantasy_Battles]
More Halberdiers

The second unit is done.


[Warfork_Fantasy_Battles]
More Halberdiers

The command group is finished.

Here the first unit is shown complete.


[Warfork_Fantasy_Battles]
More Halberdiers

The rank and file models of the first unit are done. As their equippment comes from non-industrialized craftsmen, I wanted quite some variety in the unit, which I tried to achieve with a very sophisticated system:

  • The models are numbered in the bottom of the base to make sure they align well. I placed them in a random manner without looking at the bottom as shown.
  • I painted the quilted armour down the three columns in three different browns.
  • I painted the legs of each rown in one colour.
  • With the leg colour, I painted three models diagonally starting in the next row.

This way I tried to ensure the most random colour distribution.

For the clothes, I used the information in this post and choose the winter palette.

After adding the static grass, I placed the models in their designated places and enjoyed the random distribution of colours among the unit members :-)


[Warfork_Fantasy_Battles]
More Halberdiers

I removed the cast on flags from the Mirlition models to replace them with brass rod.

 

When test placing the models, I reckognized that the Mirlition are noticably smaller than the Black Tree ones :-( This won't do.

 

Luckily, my lead pile included some more models from Black Tree's 100 years war range. I used some knights on foot for the unit leader and standard bearer. I had enough Halberdiers to fill out the unit to 16, but only in the later round helmets. As I have one unit in earlier rim helmets, I had to convert two models. First I cut off the helmets.

With Instant Mould and plaster I cast two helmets and glued them on.

 

For the bases I used metal ones from Products for Wargamers. On the underside I numbered them with a Proxxon Precision drill FBS 240/E so that deploying the units will not be a puzzle game each time.

 

The standard bearers got a pole from brass rod and all the models were based. The only thing missing now are two instruments to attach to two models. I am not sure which I will use (horns, drums, ...) and if I will buy some or do them myself.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Nadir Steppe Riders

I used Instant Mould, to make a form of a horse tail, to replace the missing one. The actual cast was done with miliput pressed into both halves, with one half filled over the brim. In the other I put a piece of wire, to be used as a pin when gluing the tail to the horse.

Next I applied some plaster to the bases to smooth out the integral bases of the horses and not have them sitting on a small hill. I added some larger stones to the plaster. Afterwards, the bases where covered in PVA glue and sanded.

There are two riders with open hands, from brass rod I cut one banner pile and one spear.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

The axemen are done except for the bases and shields.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

Some progress on the axemen.


[Warfork Fantasy Battles]
Dwarf Reinforcements

The spearmen and axemen still need shields. To tie them in more with the GW models, I took the last three unused plastic GW Dwarves I have and made a mould of the shields with Instant Mould, then started to cast them with dental plaster.


[SiFi]
Free Trader Crew

I continued work on the Free Trader Crew. First up is the Pilot, who also drives the mule to get cargo to and from the ship.

I wanted to paint the model on foot at the same time as the seated model. When I had both besides each other I noticed, that in my first attempt to give the seated drived the head of the Pilot, I grabbed one of the Security Specialist models... :-(

Out came the knife, off went the head and I instant moulded the correct head.

I then tried to sculpt the shirt of the original model on the seated driver.

Then came the painting. Orange suit and hawaian shirt.

After some colourful splotches, I tried to paint on some flower shapes in dark green - according to my wife I managed to archive the look of a childs painting attempts, but not a hawaian shirt look...

Here is the complete vehicle with driver seated and standing. The great panel on the front cries out for the Free Trader Crew logo - another decal I need to design and have custom printed.


[Modern]
Private Military Contractors

The models received a basecoat with Vallejo primer, then were sprayed black.